I emulated the ego-driven, self-important alpha boss for far too long. I would have been better served had I simply been guided by my dad’s example of humility and sacrifice.” – Bobby Herrera
Are you struggling to share the stories that shape your worldview and who you are with the world because you are scared of being judged?
About Bobby Herrera
In today’s episode 63 of Meaningful Work, Meaningful Life podcast, I am in conversation with Bobby Herrera, storyteller and author of the book The Gift of Struggle: Life-Changing Lessons.
Bobby is also a proud Army veteran and the co-founder and CEO of Populus Group. This organisation helps medium to large-sized organisations better manage their non-permanent workforce. At their core, they believe that everyone deserves an opportunity to succeed.
In this conversation, you’ll discover the struggles and leadership journey that led Bobby to build a $500+million organisation and a thriving community and how you too can apply some of his lessons to become the leader you want to be, especially in this new post-COVID season.
In this conversation, Bobby shares:
- Why he is so passionate to tell stories to kids who are born on the wrong side of the opportunity divide
- How he found purpose at 17-year-old thanks to a kind stranger
- Two fundamental questions leaders need to ask themselves
- when is the right time to tell the truth
- Why he was scared to death to share his most intimate story, which became the first step to transform his company into a community.
- And How he finally found the courage to share his most crucial marker story
- His thought-provoking perspective on how to do both what you love and get paid well for it
- How the hard lessons learnt in his childhood and his challenges became the beginning of his leadership philosophy
Bobby also shares a useful and straightforward exercise to understand the teachings of our struggles; I invite you to take a few minutes to complete it.
- Please take out a sheet of paper and draw a T
- On the left side write down 1-5 of your most significant struggles, that you have had in your life
- On the other side, write what these struggles taught you
What are your key insights?
Bobby is passionate about helping people reframing their stories and believes that we all have to go through struggle and pain to get to wisdom.