“Wealth is, first of all, made in the mind before it becomes tangible. If your mind is clogged up you won’t receive it. The first thing you need to do is to clear out your mind of worries or anxiety.” – Olubunmi Samuel-Adeyemi
Overview of the Episode
How do you manage your money and build your personal wealth?
Well, on the show today I am in conversation with Olubunmi Samuel-Adeyemi, aka The MoneyTherapist. She helps business and career professionals to manage their money better so that they can build personal wealth.
Olubunmi is the first person with published academic research on Personal Finance in Nigeria. Her company LIMER Personal Finance has reached more than 5,000 people with financial literacy knowledge at all levels.
In this conversation, she shares how she helps business and career professionals to get better at managing their own money and build personal wealth.
Olubunmi purpose is to inspire people to more significant achievements. She believes that everyone can do better, no matter how well you’re doing.
Here’s a snapshot of a few things we talked about
- We may have been interacting with money since our childhood but still, need to learn a lot about how to manage money. Everyone should be prepared to manage money and multiply it.
- Olubunmi explains why she moved out of conventional finance to connect directly with people to find out their specific problems and create tailored solutions to solve those problems.
- How we pick up our money blueprint and how fortunate she was to learn from her dad’s healthy money habits and philosophy.
- Why small business owners should effectively separate their personal finance from their business and find additional ways to monetize their skills.
- The most common mistakes that entry-level career professionals make and how to take control back
- The holistic process she uses to help clients with bad money habits.
- Why understanding who you are and your purpose in life is crucial
- You can attain financial peace, irrespective of how much money you have right now by finding out what your purpose is and finding out how many resources you have already and the ones that you need to accomplish that purpose.
- Sometimes, you don’t need more money. You may need more wisdom to allocate the resources that you have to achieve your purpose.
- Valuing relationships is essential. If you’re going to achieve your goals and fulfil your vision, you have to leverage other people’s skills and resources. So, value people, treat them right, respect them and be committed to excellence.
Fire Questions and Answers
When you travel, do you select your flight by the cheapest or by the duration?
By the cheapest!
If you had just a laptop and a hundred dollars, what would you do?
I will get online. One of the things that I have done during my journey was running an editing service. It’s an online editing service. And I have done this since 2009 or 2010, so it’s over ten years now. I don’t even need any money to pick out the errors in the writing. So, if I had just the laptop and access to the internet, that’s where I need some money.
I will announce to people, “Now that you’re online, some of you possibly for the first time, put out content and come across as excellent.“
What is Financial Freedom For You?
Financial freedom for me is to be able to help other people. That’s my overriding passion. I do not need so much for myself. I always say that the only thing that’s compulsory in this life is to go to heaven.
But what I find most fulfilling, what will signify financial freedom to me, is being able to ask a person, what do you need and then provide that without holding back. For example, I don’t want to give a gift because that’s what I can afford. I want to give you a gift because that is what you need at that time, even if it’s a luxury trip on a ship or to own the ship itself.
What is your definition then of meaningful work and meaningful life?
Meaningful work, meaningful life is living your whole life and ensuring that no part is left behind. It is ensuring that as you move along, your health doesn’t suffer, all your relationships do not suffer, your spiritual life doesn’t suffer just because you’re focused on only one area. So, having an all-encompassing life for me is what I consider fulfilling meaningful work and then a meaningful life.
Last piece of guidance to do more for meaningful work and live a meaningful life
My final word will be: get in touch with who created you. That’s where you begin to find meaning for your life. So, get in touch with God. He created you as the manufacturer. He knows what he had in mind before he posted you into this world, through your parents. So, get in touch with him, and then you can begin to live a more meaningful life and do more meaningful work.
Quotes by Olubunmi Samuel-Adeyemi
- We never know how connected we are until we are actually faced with the reality of our connectedness.
- Understand that money isn’t scarce; there is an abundance of money.
- Money simply flows in your direction or away from you based on what you do. So you need to learn how to attract it.
- Your purpose, why you’re here on Earth to do, determines to a great extent how much money flows in your direction.
- Not everybody is designed to amass wealth. Some people are designed to be a channel to distribute wealth. So understanding your purpose is key to live a fulfilled life.